So we’ve decided to add in our recipes for what we eat when we all get together. All our dishes are vegan as we have two vegan members so it just makes it easier to cook for all!
This month I tackled a dairy fave – Mac n Cheese (without dairy obvs)…
Makes 6 portions
- 500g cooked macaroni or spirali pasta
- 2 white potatoes, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of cashew nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste – go heavy with this I’d say at least 2tsp)
- Throw the potatoes, carrots and onions in a pan of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Save about 2 cups of this water then drain the veg.
- Into a blender, add the cashew nuts (I soaked mine for an hour or so beforehand), the cooked veg, the garlic, the onion powder, salt and pepper, the saved water and the nutritional yeast. Pulse/blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Pour over the cooked pasta in an ovenproof dish and put into the over for about 20min on 180C. I pre-made the sauce the day before so cooked for longer to heat through properly.
- Add breadcrumbs, vegan cheese, or indeed, Kettle Chips as a topping and put back in the over for another 10min
- Serve with fresh salad and garlic bread.